The overaching goal of my research is to to improve the long term sustainability of the food supply chain. Currently, food production operates as a linear open system that takes energy and materials from non-renewable resources along with water to produce food. Once these resources become less available, our capability to produce enough food for a growing population will be compromised.
- Food sustainability
- Alternative protein sources via fermentation
- Energy and water efficiency in the food supply chain
- FDSC 3103: Principles of Food Processing
- FDSC 6143: Advanced Food Processing and Packaging and Their Environmental Impact
- FDSC 2523 - Sanitation and Safety in Food Processing Operations
Ph.D.- Pennsylvania State University (Food Science)
M.S.- State University of New York at Buffalo (Industrial Engineering)
B.S.- Universidad Nacional de Misiones, Argentina (Chemical Engineering)
- Diaz Gonzalez D, Morawicki R, Mauromoustakos A. 2019.Effect of nixtamalization treatment of three varieties of grain sorghum on the reduction of total phenolics and their subsequent enzymatic hydrolysis. J Food Process Preserv. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.14067
- Akoetey W, Morawicki R. The effect of adaptation of Lactobacillus amylovorus to increasing concentrations of sweet potato starch on the production of lactic acid for its potential use in the treatment of cannery waste. J Environ Sci Health B. 2018 Sep 10:1-8. doi: 10.1080/03601234.2018.1505076.
- Morawicki, R. O. Díaz González, D. J. 2018. Food Sustainability in the Context of Human Behavior. The Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine, 91(2), 191–196.
- Christina N. Day and Ruben O. Morawicki, Effects of Fermentation by Yeast and Amylolytic Lactic Acid Bacteria on Grain Sorghum Protein Content and Digestibility, Journal of Food Quality, vol. 2018, Article ID 3964392, 8 pages, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3964392.
- D. Luján-Rhenals, R. Morawicki, Z. Shi & S. C. Ricke. 2017. Quantification of nitrogen in the liquid fraction and in vitro assessment of lysine bioavailability in the solid fraction of soybean meal hydrolysates, Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part B, DOI: 10.1080/03601234.2017.1369326
- Akoetey, Winifred; Britain, Margaret Mead and Morawicki, Ruben Omar. 2017. Potential use of byproducts from cultivation and processing of sweet potatoes. Ciencia Rural 47(5).
Associate Professor, University of Arkansas, Department of Food Science
Senior Research Scientist, Tyson Foods, Inc.