Dr. Jamie Baum
Research Emphasis: Energy Metabolism & Metabolic Health
Dr. Baum addresses basic and applied research challenges related to dietary protein intake (e.g. protein source, quality, and quantity) and its impact on body composition, energy metabolism and metabolic health.
Current Research Projects:
- Nutrition interventions to improve energy metabolism, energy intake and metabolic response in overweight and obese school-aged children.
- Defining the importance of protein quality and quantity in prevention of chronic disease.
- Nutrient modulation of the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) to improve muscle function.
- Defining the role of essential amino acids and fatty acids in skeletal muscle energy metabolism for prevention of chronic disease.
- The ability of dietary protein to reduce markers of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
Download Dr. Baum's research impact statements:
Dr. Sun-Ok Lee
Research Emphasis Area: Dietary Phytochemicals
Dr. Lee's Nutrition and Dietary Phytochemicals research program is designed to understand how dietary phytochemicals and bioactive components in foods and natural extracts exert human health benefits.
Current research projects:
- Effects of brown rice products on plasma glucose, insulin, and satiety hormones in humans
- In vitro fermentation properties of rice bran components by human gut microbiota
- Bioavailability and transport kinetics of flavonoids
- Role of bioactive components of peanut and Medicago in the prevention of colon cancer
Download Dr. Lee's research impact statement.